When it comes to food, it’s fair to say that most dogs are big fans. As dog owners, it can be very difficult indeed not to give into pester power and spoil your pups with treats from time to time (or a lot)… and you know that they’re going to be close to your heels whenever you’re in the kitchen cooking up a storm.
However, it’s important that you do your research before giving your dog any kind of human food as, while it might be delicious and nutritious for you, it could actually be poisonous for your pooch if you’re not careful.
Top of the list of foods to make sure your dog doesn’t get their paws on are alliums, so the likes of onions, garlic and chives. Whether they’re dry, cooked or raw, these are all very toxic to dogs indeed and can lead to gastrointestinal issues, as well as red blood cell damage.
Note that signs of illness may not appear immediately and it can take up to a few days for symptoms to appear after ingestion.
And then, of course, there’s chocolate. Most dog owners know that chocolate is very poisonous for dogs and it’s actually dark chocolate that you need to be most aware of in terms of risk, as it has higher levels of theobromine, a stimulant, that is toxic and can lead to kidney failure.
Something else to be on the lookout for is xylitol, an artificial sweetener that can be found in sugar-free products, low-fat items, chewing gum, some brands of Greek yoghurt and even some peanut butters, so it’s essential that you read the ingredients list before giving your dog treats like this.
It’s possible that your dog could go into hypoglycaemia if they ingest xylitol, which can then lead to liver failure and blood clotting issues.
If you’re worried that your dog has eaten something they shouldn’t, always act as quickly as you can and take your dog to the vet.
Looking for a London dog trainer? Get in touch with Sean Hyden to see how he can help.